St Nicolas Church, North Stoneham, Eastleigh
St Nicolas is medieval in origin, and has probably been the site of a place of worship for 1,000 years. It was rebuilt around 1600, and altered in the 1820s by the architect Thomas Hopper.
The One Hand Clock dates from the early 17th century. On the chancel floor is an important gravestone inscribed to Slavonian soldiers who died in 1491. The large tomb of Sir Thomas Fleming and his wife is known as the 'floating Flemings'. There is a fine wall memorial to Admiral Lord Hawke (d.1781) of Swaythling House, with a detailed depiction of the Battle of Quiberon Bay.
There are many memorials to the Fleming family including a monument to John Fleming (d.1802), and a wonderful portrait tablet to John Willis Fleming (d.1844) by the sculptor Richard Cockle Lucas