5.1 The study area fulfils the vital function of providing a largely undeveloped open landscape between two major urban areas. Moreover, it provides a range of informal and formal recreational activities within an historic landscape.
5.2 The main objectives of this Strategy are:
1. to retain the undeveloped character of this countryside area, within the Eastleigh-Southampton Strategic Gap;
2. to conserve and enhance the landscape - in particular:
(a) its parkland character;
(b) the screening of the motorways;
3. to explore opportunities for the restoration of the historic parkland landscape of the area to be known as "Avenue Park" (see Map 4 - Principal Strategy Area and Policy 7);
4. to increase local public access (without encouraging greater car use);
5. to provide additional open recreation where this would be consistent with the landscape objectives; and
6. to conserve historic buildings and features.
Next: 6. Landscape Restoration Opportunities